March 5, 2016

Easy Fashion Hacks

Let's say, in avoidance of calling myself lazy, I am pragmatic. I don't really consider myself an out-of-the-box thinker, I merely like to take the easier way out. I just found out recently that few of my pretty obvious solutions, other people would never even think of... So as per Miss Dindie's suggestion these are a few of my life-hacks.

1. Cuff and Stitch
It used to be pretty hard to find a ladies' version of bands/movies/comic tees that I like. If I found one it will be way too small anyway, so I tend to shop men's tees. But then I often find that the sleeves are way too long, and so I cuff them.... and pretty soon the cuff will unravel so I have to roll it up over and over again. So that's pretty annoying... Why not I just stitch the frekking thing in place instead. All you need to do is roll the sleeves/hems and stitch them with similar color, easy peasy. Make tiny but strong stitches, like you are stitching invisible buttons, around the top of the cuff 6-8 strategically placed stitches should do fine. Make sure it is strong enough by tugging and pulling them, so it could survive a couple of machine-washes. 
If you are stitching denims/pants make it extra strong and check after you washed them to see if the stitches needs mending. I am short so I do this a lot, I mostly get my jeans from the thrift shop or ebay, and having them tailored which is very costly here, is not an option I want to take, cause it beats the purpose in buying it cheap in the first place.


2. Split It Open
So you got this awesome tee/top and it's a little bit tight on the tummy/chest but you don't want to throw it away. Just cut them on the sides with scissors. If you don't want the split to go further stop them by sewing another invisible buttons on top.


 3. Customize and Make It Yours
I tend to customize and put my stamp on almost everything. From the simplest to you-got-too-much-time-on-your-hand-did-you.
Simply changing the buttons of your shirt or cardigan will breathes new life to it. I used to have this mustard cardigan on which I sewed little red mushroom button on, that makes me happy every time. If you collect vintage buttons I suggest you do this right away!


Put studs! Because why not? In my household a constant supply of studs is a must. Stud your stuff while you're watching a movie or tv-serial marathons, and you won't really notice the  numbness of pushing studs through thick fabric. Nah, not really, who am I kidding? I just like to craft/draw while watching stuff to be honest.


Draw stuffs on it! Or if you can't, put patches!


Below is the jacket I wore the most, I would love to wear more of my faux-leather jacket but then again I live in the subtropics and the HUMIDITY oh lord have mercy the humidity! I am addicted to biker jacket, and this one comes in linen and the Uzumaki patch makes it sooooo good looking from the back. 
When stitching patches, you can do just the simplest stitches, but don't forget to knot it every 6-8 stitches so it won't unravel too easily. Even if it is unraveling it won't come off altogether, you would only need to fix here and there.


I hope these hacks will come handy to you someday.... Do you think I should do more post like this? Do tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment